Thursday, July 29, 2010

What advice would you give someone who hasn't run in a while & wants to get back into the routine of it ?

What tips or encouragement would you give to someone who is out of shape and wants to reincorporate the exercise of running back into their schedule and life ? What motivation could you offer ? It would be prefered if those who have been in the same position would answer if possible, but anyone is welcome to answer. Thanks.What advice would you give someone who hasn't run in a while %26amp; wants to get back into the routine of it ?
I was out of shape once and over weight, and I started off slow and built up to jogging as my ultimate goal.





First, I started with daily stretching for about 20 minutes.





Then, I used free weights and did squats, back leg lifts (on my stomach w/ a 40 pound dumbell between my ankles/feet wearing hightop construction boots [very butch])... you should probably start w/ 20 pounds to be safe... then increase.





Then, I walked 15 minutes to the beach and I started walking the trail at the beach, going 30 minutes in one direction, and then retrograde back for a 1 hour walk.





Then, I started to do tip-toes where I put an 80 pound crossbar of free weights across my shoulders and did repetitve tip-toes... this builds up your calves to be muscular and strengthens your tendents... but be very careful start by only completing about 50, then build to 75, then 100, b/c if you do too many (having never done them), then you will wake up the next morning crippled. I did this and it took a week before I could straighten out my legs b/c my calves were really sore and swollen hard... now I can do 600 per day. Start off with maybe 60 pounds, and then eventually build to 80.





Then, I started to walk up stairs.





Then, I found a hill in town that I walked up and down.





I did this all gradually for a month to a month and a half.





Then, I started to to do mild short jogs (one block I'd walk %26amp; the next block I'd jog %26amp; kept repeating), while doing all the above, plus I started weight lifting in general, b/c it increases muscle mass (which weighs heavier than fat) and strengths your muscles while it also causes you to burn more calories and loose fat, the bad weight.





I gave up all milk, cheese, and dairy products, too, which caused me to quickly shed 40 pounds in 4 months, and helped to eliminate my congestion... I could breath better.





Take an ipod or jogging headset with you when you jog. Try different routes so you never get bored. Drive to a park or an inspiring location and get out, stretch and jog; do a cool down, and then drive back home.





Good luck!What advice would you give someone who hasn't run in a while %26amp; wants to get back into the routine of it ?
I like the idea of 3 days a week to get me started on something new. Its less than half the time and completely reasonable.





I would start by committing to any distance running or walking that makes you sweat a bit 3 times a week. You can do it 3 days in a row or every other day but just make sure you do at least 3 days.





Each week add to your distance and time. Always keeping your 3 day committment.





After you get some momentum start to do 4 days a week as extra credit.





Tips:





Find a walking running partner.





Make a goal to run a 5k race within a certain period of time.





Raise money for a charity while training for this 5k it will require you to stay focussed. Nobody wants to fail after taking donations.





Get a personal trainer or running coach to work with you as you get started.





Keep your 3 day a week commitment and you will naturally gain momentum and can take on more advanced training techniques.
Hello,





Be patient. Try running 3x a week and don't be afraid to walk a bit then jog a bit. Progess takes time and is well worth the patience. Check out the tips below. Best of luck!





- Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment