Thursday, July 29, 2010

Advice on rethreading a stripped screw hole on transmission fluid pan?

I have a 2001 Chevy Cavalier. I had been noticing occasional drips of tranny fluid in 3 evenly spaced increments beneath my car. After trying to replace the gasket and filter I realized the people who I had work on my car months ago had stripped 3 holes and had ';jerry-rigged'; it with loads of silicone.





Now I am going to have to rethread the holes to a slightly larger size. Any advice or product recommendations??





Thanks in advance!Advice on rethreading a stripped screw hole on transmission fluid pan?
i used to work on transmissions and i have had the problem you have many times


the best way to fix it is with a heli coil, it replaces the threads that were there, your local auto parts store should have themAdvice on rethreading a stripped screw hole on transmission fluid pan?
+1 on the helicoil. it's easy
Yes, either helicoil an insert into the stripped holes or JB Weld a stud into each hole.
Yes, helical inserts (also sold under the brand Heli-Coil) are your best solution, but they're a little expensive. You can also choose a bolt size just a tad larger than the existing bolts and get a tap for that size bolt. Use the recommended drill but size for the tap, drill, then tap.





(JB weld for this job is bad news.)

No comments:

Post a Comment