Saturday, July 31, 2010

Need advice on how to make a cookbook?

I have people asking me all of the time for my recipes. So I have decided that I want to make a cookbook for my family, friends and the kids teachers. I am going to use it as christmas presents and get a head start on them. I need some information though on how to go about making one. Ideas as far as what kind of book would I put them in, what categories to include, any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.Need advice on how to make a cookbook?
There are many ways to approach your task, one way is by time of day, chapters, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks which really like myself. The other is in menu form, select the Entree, Meat, Chicken, Fish, Pasta and then have a referenced Pairings chapter for what are great combo's for the selection (sides). Tweek your recipes to how you'd make them youself in your kitchen with what you have on hand as normal staples, lemon zest instead of lemongrass, etc. Get yourself a Digital camera and start taking pics of your creations as you're in the process of writing your book, remember we eat with our eyes also, I picture is worth it's weight in gold. I wish the best, keep me in mind when Christmas rolls around.Need advice on how to make a cookbook?
First an outline. Decide the slant you will give to the book, how are going to present it, and include and prepare the list of recipes.





Will it be a book with only pasta recipes, only desserts, a book on salads or will it be ';My 101 best recipes'; with a bit of everything?





If you want the book only for the family, just list your 101 best recipes in alphabetical order.





There is recipe management software that can help you organize, format and publish all those recipes, a selection of software can be found at:





http://www.all-foods-natural.com/bazaar/鈥?/a>





I hope you open your cookbook to the general public.
I'd browse through a cook-book you own and take a look at the categories (Usually they go something like Appetizer/Beverages, Salads/Side dishes, Main Dishes, Deserts). You can break it down much further (under main dishes list by beef, vegetarian, pork, chicken, etc.) or just leave the categories very general (it probably depends on how many recipes you are including--you don't want just one or two recipes in each section) Then I'd get all your recipes together and decide which ones go in each category.





As for book ideas, you could print them up and put them in a ring binder type of book, or if you have a local printing press they may be able to do a small run for you, just check your phone book for listings.





You could also set your printer to print 3x5 or 4x6 cards, buy card stock, print several recipes to a page, cut them out and put them in recipe boxes (my mom did that one year for me for Christmas so I'd have all my favorite recipes from when I was growing up when I got married). You could even vary the card stock colors depending on the category of recipe (main dishes blue, appetizers red, etc.)
loook for recipes
Fundcraft Publishing, Inc.


P O Box 340


Collierville, TN





Walter's Cookbooks


215 5th AVE SE


Waseca MN 56093





Golden West Publishers


4113 N Longview Ave


Phoenix AZ 85014





The above publishers can give you the information you need to get everything in order and also direct you on how to publish it at a nominal cost. Be sure to offer your cookbook to 'friends' and don't leave out those that need good recipes to begin their lives like brides, college students, etc.
Either a three ring note book and print the recipes on three holed paper or you could go to a print shop (Insty-print) and they will make the book up with a plastic binder. We did this where I worked and sold them to ourselves and donated that to the humane society
Shutterfly.com offers layouts for recipe books and photos
First off, probably some form of self publishing software. As for the book itself, I would categorize it like a menu! Start with appetizers and end it with desserts filling in all the blanks inbetween! Such as soups, salads, ala carte, dinner, etc!
I am thinking about doing the same thing. I found a website that gives tips on how to do that along with their publishing service. Here it is: http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/bo鈥?/a>


Good luck with your cookbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment