Saturday, July 31, 2010

What advice can you give me to help me with an unfriendly cat?

I've got a male cat, a few years old (neither a kitten nor an old cat). He has never purred, never sought out people, barely tolerates any affection (even if I'm very gentle and slow about it), and he has a nasty habit of peeing on the carpet.





He's spent his life living with me and several dogs (all cat-friendly) and a few cats (none of whom have a problem with humans).





I've had cats for the past 25 years or so, and never had a problem with cats. I respect them and they've been very affectionate with me.





This is the only cat I've had that refuses to warm up to people, and sometimes refuses to use a clean litter box.





If I take him to the pound, they'll kill him (he is not going to be friendly with those who might adopt him). Abandoning him is out of the question and putting him down is not an option.





I could really use some good advice on how to help him adjust to the fact that I own the place, I won't let him pee wherever, and I want to be his friend.





A little help?What advice can you give me to help me with an unfriendly cat?
feed itWhat advice can you give me to help me with an unfriendly cat?
get rid of his goofy butt, some cats just have no hope...you wont miss him...just take him to a park 100 miles away, and set him free
At first I thought he was near feral, but if you've had him forever, he may just be lacking attention. If the other pets ask for more attention from you, they'll get it. This little guy just doesn't know how. He doesn't really understand the concept of affection, so he's happy enough. As to the peeing, get a toy water pistol and when you see even THINKING about it, shoot him. I won't take very long for him to get the idea.


-MM
Yes. Get a large crate, one he can see through. Put in his litter box, food and water. Give him a bed. Put the crate in the middle of the room where there is the most activitiy.


The only time he should get freedom is after you snuggle and play with him. He will soon look forward to your attention. Either this is his personality and he will not change, or he is in cotrol. You need to take away his control.
Perhaps you need to cooperate with him too. This is a two way street, that is if you want a cat.
Your cat must be related to mine. Ive got one just like that, but its a female. It sounds like yours needs fixed, if hes peeing on the floor. Try changing liters. I would also force him to be held more. MAKE him social.





My hubby says try this...Everyday, get a little Salmon or Tuna on a plate, Just for HIM, (you and him, one on one), around the same time of day, everyday, and see if he starts warming up to you. Eventually he will let you know, thats its that time of day, for you and him ... to have his Tuna or Salmon.





We have done this, and our cats let us know, everyday, what time it is...lol....and our female has lightened up a bit. Shes beginning to get better, but dang...shes a different one...just like yours. Good luck. I hope yours decides to come around. If you do get rid of him, Id take him to the Humane Society.
Use Google to find out about books written by Gwen Bailey (or Baily?) This is a cats-expert who answers many questions on cat's behaviour. Very interesting and maybe helpful for you.
i've got a problem very similar with my cat, but it's a she. Is your male fixed? if he is, his problem may be the CLEAN litter box. but about the meaness, just let him be, some cats are just like that. I know mine is, and because she's the way she is, she's four-paw declawed. You may just have to accept that he is a loner and not an affectionate cat. There are people and dogs the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment