Thursday, July 29, 2010

Any advice on How to properly clean antique wood furniture?

I have recently inherited a beautiful antique ';Larkin Co.'; secretary desk from my husbands grandmother. It is oak wood and has years of build up on it. Not ever owning something like this I dont want to use just anything. And I dont want to damage it. So if anyone out there could give me some advice on a good reliable product I would be greatful!


Thanks for your timeAny advice on How to properly clean antique wood furniture?
I use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean my antiques or Fornby's Fine Furniture cleaner. Fornby's will break down the accumulation of furniture wax that has accumulated and the Murph'y takes away dirt and grime. They I moisturize my wood with Scotts Liquid Gold letting it completely soak into the wood before placing anything on the surface. Scotts not only gives a nice shine, but cleans residual dirt out of the pores of the wood as well. I live in SoCal which is really an arid desert climate, so I moisturize all of my woods at least 2 times a year.Any advice on How to properly clean antique wood furniture?
Any cleaning will hurt the value of it, but if it is just nasty then you could go to a hardware store and ask which cleaner will best suit your needs.


Murphy's oil soap is one type of cleaner that I use, or just some boiled linseed oil.


The best thing would be just a damp cloth (water) and a little elbow grease.
Martha Stewart has very detailed instructions on her site.
Use a wax to polish it. Many antiques are old %26amp; dry. Finish Feeder is an excellent one that can penetrate shellac %26amp; lacquer. In between polishings, you can dry dust it. You can also use the Finish Feeder on the knobs %26amp; drawer pulls. Enjoy!
Don't use any product. Just dust with a dry rag and keep it out of the sun.
pledge?


hope it works:)
Murphy's Oil Soap should be gentle enough for it. Just make sure you read and follow the directions carefully. If you're still concerned about damaging it you might want to speak with an antique collector or dealer.
Very carefully.
hmmmm....plueg? i guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment