Saturday, August 21, 2010

What advice would you give a woman who was moving to another state?

Where she knows no one and she's moving there alone?What advice would you give a woman who was moving to another state?
I鈥檝e moved to several locations through out my life on my own while active duty Navy. Luckily I had the military as my support system to assist me with my move and transition. But what I did was, what ever area I was seeking to reside in, I researched the crime rate (robbery, reported rapes, home break-ins and vandalism, thefts); as well as the nearest police station and their reputation (i.e. how many complaints and court cases have the officers had within that county or district for excessive force and police brutality).





I looked up the cost of living for that specific area and I matched it with my current (and projected) take home pay after taxes. In doing so, I assessed if my budge would be suitable (can I still pay my bills and save money) for that area鈥檚 economy.





I ensured I had full insurance coverage; based on traffic patterns and the make and model of my vehicle and I ensured that I owned a vehicle that would assist me with transportation year round (dependable and well maintained).





I also went on line and tried to post to blogs or locate people who lived in the city and state that I was seeking to relocate there. And see what they had to say about the area; even to see if I could immerse myself within the local culture (make friends, get information, find social gatherings). Because she鈥檚 going to have to meet people in order to be open to making friends. She can check out 鈥榤eetup.com鈥?where she can find social groups that have the same interest as herself. Let the members know that she鈥檚 getting ready to relocate there, and see if she can find anyone who鈥檚 willing to assist her with finding her way around and making friends.What advice would you give a woman who was moving to another state?
Research the city you are going to be living in. Look at neighborhoods, cost of living, access to public transportation, job availability, social places in the city. You want to be prepared for it all when you finally get out there so you can get started living and enjoying it right away. Knowledge is key, especially when moving to an unknown area. Take care of yourself first and the friends will follow.
1- Safety- make sure you study the area you are moving into to understand and tackle the safety issues you may be dealing with.





2- Join a group in the new area- This can be anything from a book club to sports activity or volunteer organization. This way you'll find people who share similar interests and will be introduced to others.





3- Read, read, read about the city you are moving into to know the difference between your current city and new one. This way you'll be prepared and know what to expect.





4- I'm assuming you have the finances already figured out, if not, of course applying for jobs online and making calls.





I know newness and the unknown can make you nervous, but see it as an opportunity for a new start and good luck to you!
Don't move anywhere that you have to dig or plow snow to get out of your driveway. Definitely go south. Dallas/Ft. Worth is a good choice. I had fun when I did it.


Edit: The reason I mentioned not to move where the snow is.... is because way up north all that snow can sure make life alot harder than it has to be. I'm talking big snow.like North Dakota or Canada.....not a wise move.
I did the same thing. Be strong. You'll make new friends. Get a good calling plan because you'll want to talk to your friends from home a lot (at first 'til you make new friends) Maybe get a pet. Cats are good because they don't need to be walked and can be left alone. Good luck
Not be afraid of the snow, it's awesome. Just get to know people. I'm assuming you'll have a job or go to school, you won't be alone. Just be careful, lock your doors at night, don't walk alone at night. You'll be fine.
Get involved with something, get yourself a gym membership, try to take up some hobbies with groups in the area, otherwise you might go bonkers from the solitude!
If you're moving to change your life, you will have to change your consciousness.





No matter where you go, there you are.
Dont walk dark streets alone unless thats your job...
Enjoy the trip
Um, meet people? Have fun? Don't get raped?
Be sure to have a job lined up. And it looks like you do.
dont die

No comments:

Post a Comment