Monday, August 23, 2010

Is there advice about a Kindergartener who cries and screams when dropped off at school?

My son (almost 6) cries and screams most days when he is dropped off at school. He says it's because he has to go the the after-school program, which he only goes to 2 days out of 5 days. I've sent him with family photos, I given rewards if he went a week without crying, but it always returns. We've switched from rewards to punishment (no TV if he cries, no playdates if he cries, no dessert if he cries, etc.), which I feel awful about. The teacher is not terribly helpful and I know that he went through crying fits when transitioning to pre-school for 3-4 months. He is disrupting his whole class. He is the sweetest little boy and I've let him know that the ball is basically in his court now - he has to decide if he wants to have good, fun days or sad days. I'm at my wits end with no end in sight. Help!Is there advice about a Kindergartener who cries and screams when dropped off at school?
I know you feel like the teacher isn't helping, but she probably really is. Chances are he stops crying with in 2 minutes after you leave. To him (whether he knows it or not) its a way to keep you there longer. He just wants you to stay.





As hard as it is I recommend helping him get settled and then just saying ';I am going now, I will see you later, I love you very much'; and then blow a kiss (if you hug him he may hug and not let go). This is extremely hard, but I bet he stops crying soon after you leave.





I would strongly suggest talking to the teacher about it and seeing what she says. She may have some other ideas since she has experience with you son. But in my 8 years of teaching little ones I have found this works best.Is there advice about a Kindergartener who cries and screams when dropped off at school?
I hope everything turns out okay.





Good Luck

Report Abuse



reward him for not crying. tell him he can pick out a place to eat or his favorite toy if he can do it for a while then he will get used to going and he will be fine.
  • concealer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment