Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What advice can I give a friend whose parents found out he's gay and are taking it poorly?

The question pretty much says it all. A friend of mine (who is a minor and lives at home) is gay, and hadn't came out yet to his parents. They recently found out on their own that he's gay and are not very accepting of the gay community. How can I help him get through this?What advice can I give a friend whose parents found out he's gay and are taking it poorly?
You have some excellent answers on this one. I thought I might add a link that may help. It's listed as the source below. PFLAG is an organization dedicated to promoting acceptance, and more importantly embracement. I came out when I was 15. I was kicked out of school, my church and my home. I was lucky though - I had friends and some family that cared enough about me to embrace me for who I am. Your friend is very luck to have someone who cares enough to even ask the question. Hope this helps! :-)What advice can I give a friend whose parents found out he's gay and are taking it poorly?
Tell him to just ride it out. Unless his parents want to talk about where he's sticking his di*k, it shouldn't really come up. And if they want to bring it up he has every right to tell them to just mind where they're sticking their own dix.


I went through a rough time with this myself and really, it's just about his sex life. If he was straight it would be none of their business if he got off on tying a girl up, peeing on her, or dressing up like pirates.


I just want to know exactly where straight parents get off thinking thier gay offspring owe it to them to discuss their sex life.


If they are not open about it than they have just cut themselves out of a part of his life. How many straight people discuss such intimate details with their parents? He should just not talk to them about his sex life. Most straight people don't have to discuss such intimate details! Tell him to talk about the weather or something. If they are such bigots then small talk about the weather is all they deserve.
Being there for him is the most important thing you can do. He's definitely going to need a sympathetic ear. It's unfortunate that he's a minor, because it means that his parents can do with him what they want, even if that means sending him off to one of those ';ex-gay ministries.'; I hope that things haven't yet progressed to that level.
I find it a tragedy that gay men feel they must inform their parents of their own private sexuality. It is not necessary. Your sex life is your own, parents are not comfortable with talking of any sex with their children, let alone being gay. A gay person must learn to accept themselves for who they are, and not depend on the acceptance of their parents. Never tell your parents you are gay unless they specifically ask you. Even then, it is none of their business, any more than it is the child's business how often the parents are having sex, or what kind of sex the parents do. Your private sex life, irregardless of your age, is yours, and yours alone. Tell him to stop expecting his parents to accept him. They never will. It is he must learn to accept himself..then his life will be fulfilled.
it will run it course sometimes is long and windy, or short and wild. if the parent has true unconditional love like a good parent should for their child they will eventually love him for what he truly is, and accept that there is nothing wrong with him. The parents shouldnt be thinking about theirselves in this situation. Its not easy being gay.
Continue to be extremely supportive and hopefully his parents will soften up. Remember they are entitled to their views but hopefully they will not push your friend away and still remember that he is their son. It can be hard on a parent but I think that both parties just really have to come together. You are a good friend for caring so much.
Just make sure he knows that you are there for him and just make sure that when your with him you have fun so he doesnt have to think about his parents.


They should being to understand after a while.
tell him to tell his family that if they love him they will accept and love him wholly.

No comments:

Post a Comment